Sunday, January 29, 2006

Saved by the good samaritan...

Yesterday, we decided to head into the city to check out the Chinese New Year celebrations... but me being me, I left things until a little late, and we had run out of tickets, so I grabbed my commuter bike (pictured below) to run to the store, then to the train station... figuring that I would park my bike at the train station while in the city (have done this in past).

(me with our borrowed commuting bikes that we ride daily)

Anyways... we headed into the city to check out the celebrations and did so in the sweltering heat. I would show you all some pictures, but it seems as though the battery in the camera (along with the spare) were both dead. Oops.

Well, after a long day in the city, we hopped the train to head home. As the train pulled up at the station, I noticed that my bike was no longer locked to the rack, but instead a tiny note remained.

The note read "Your lock was smashed, your bike is across the road." I looked across the road and saw my bike sitting next to the house... we walked over and talked with the woman, who had now come out of her house to meet us (apparently she was watching and waiting for us to return).

It seems some of the local hoodlums (these would be teenagers with considerably more time than brains) had broken my lock, thrown the lock on the roof of the train station, and were very likely going to steal and/or trash my commuting bike. This would have made things quite difficult for me from this point on, as riding my road bike to the pool is not an option (it is very difficult to secure, and very likely to be stolen - it is not an easy bike to miss ;)

Anyhow - she witnessed these kids breaking the lock, and came across the street to confront them. She told them that she had their pictures, and if they touched the bike, she would be going to the police with them (a bit of a stretch of the truth).

We thanked the woman profusely and left... and that is more or less how things ended.

It is good to know that there are good people left in the world... who will stand up for someone else, even though they don't know them.

This ends my feel-good story of the day.

Hope your day is going as well as mine!!

No comments: