Saturday, March 04, 2006

Roadkill report...

So, time to focus on the training for a minute :)

Yesterday we got out nice and early for our long ride - ok, it wasn't so early at all. Alli was up like clockwork at 7:00, and probably ready to go by 8:00 easily, but it took me until after 9:00 to be rolling out the door (referring back to my Polar heart rate monitor, I left at 9:19 AM - Alli got the 10-15 minute headstart on me.

Anyhow, we cycled out to Phillip Island again - if for no other reason than there is a sum total of about five traffic lights the entire way. Beat that with a stick will ya :) The ride out was good, with a very light headwind - which I was looking forward to returning with at my backside.

By the time that we arrived at Phillip Island (85km - 2:45, average speed 30.7 km/h) the temperature approached or possibly exceeded 40 degrees Celsius. I decided after a short break that an ice cold Coke was in order, so we stopped by the store and I bought a 1.5L bottle of Coke (couldn't help it, the 600ml bottle was only a dollar less - it's all about the value ;) Alli and I shared the bottle, meaning that I drank about 1.3L and she drank about 200ml. Teehee... actually, thought it would be too much, and that I would need to stop for a pee five minutes out, but it turned out NOT to be the case.

The ride back began with a vicious headwind - what? Where did my tailwind go? Dammit anyways... the coke kicked in about 15 minutes into the ride, and I was very glad that I drank as much of it as I had. Frankly, I was extremely unimpressed with my hot Ultima (like gatorade, but less garbage) and almost boiling water (note to self - take tea bags next time to make tea in water bottles ;)

Well, despite headwinds most of the way, I kept things on pace, and made it back to the 7-11 with 30 minutes to spare, and so I decided it was time for another treat... this time a Slurpee was in order. I had it half downed by the time that Alli caught up with me (actually wasn't that long at all - I was a thirsty bugger :)

Here was the summary of the food and drink consumption for those interested:

2L plus of Ultima
over 2L of water
1L of staminade
1L of coke at turnaround (paid extra for ice cold coke, full sugar ;)
800ml of slurpee at 7-11 30 minutes from home, before run
Around 8 thermolyte caplets
Misc foodstuffs

Total ride time was 5:40 and total distance was roughly 171km followed by a brief 30 minute run... drank my entire bottle on the run, then litres and litres of water thereafter. Seems that I came up a bit short, despite having drank so much (or seemingly so much) on the bike.

As far as roadkill goes (doesn't seem right using it as a title then not mentioning it :) saw one fox, many birds, a couple of snakes (including one alive) and one dead roo in the ditch (nasty smelly in the heat, ewwww).

So begins my Sunday morning. We are four weeks out from raceday, so it's crunch time now.

Less than two weeks until we depart, and test my driving skills once again (I haven't driven anything, save for a bike, for the last four or more months).

More to follow :)

No comments: