Saturday, February 04, 2006

The difference between living and being alive...

So, I got to thinking about life while I was out on my five hour ride today (there is a LOT of time for thinking while training ;) I got to thinking about LIVING. What is it all about?

Today it was about the warm sun on my skin, the fresh ocean air blowing in from across the water, and the deep blue water. What an experience it is to be living.

I thought... there are so many people driving past me, windows rolled up, air conditioning on, hurrying about life - and little do they know it, but they aren't living. They are merely plodding along in their constant state of unhappiness.

Some of these people holler at me as they drive past, or yell something out the window (who has any clue what they are saying - but I doubt that it's a compliment ;) They are all in some kind of rush to be somewhere or to do something for no particularly good reason. It's a little bit sad when you think about it.

What is living about to you? Hit me back with some comments (click on that comment button below). Is it dancing naked, or maybe just dancing? How about singing in the shower, or basking in the sun? Let me hear some voices!!

Anyways... not too much to report for today. Long ride went off without a problem, and I managed to hop in for a massage this afternoon. The massage therapist is also a naturopath, so it was fun chatting with her. Without a doubt, we are on the same page when it comes to health and nutrition... which is fun :)

The other day I was reading through the "letters to the editor" in the local paper, and read with interest a note about some "idiot cyclist". Now, there's no doubt that the cyclist she was referring to was an idiot, but then so are seemingly 10% or more of the drivers on the road... if I were to write in every time that I encountered an idiot driver, I wouldn't hardly step away from the computer ;)

What is with society today that the drivers think that they reign supreme? Bicycles came before cars, we don't generally contribute to global warming (OK, we do a little bit, but not even close to a car), we don't take up much space (you can easily fit six bicycles into the space of a normal car) and we don't make any noise. Compare this to what you normally find on the road... spewing, belching, roaring cars and motorbikes. Blech.

I guess I just don't know why motorists can't give us some of the respect that we deserve.

Do me a favour - next time you're driving past a cyclist, give them some room and respect... and remember that there are a lot more idiot drivers out there than there are idiot cyclists.

/rant off

Six days to the start of the Olympics... the countdown continues.

Over and out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I will be the 1st to test drive this Comments section for you. If for no other reason than to yell an obscenity at you as I drive by in my big V100 engine, AC fully cranked with my windows down, throwing a non-biodegradable pop can out the window... perhaps I'll even get you this time instead of missing like the last four times! ;)

Yeah, you're turning into something frighteningly resembling a hippy, what with your food choices (natural, raw food - COME ON!) instead of a good old big steak made with 100% steroids, growth hormones, and antibiotics. heh heh

Hippy freak, cycling for five hours a day on the side of MY road.

-sigh- I wish I could be where you are instead of back home, driving my damn car ;)

Keep up the good work my friend and happy training. May the motorists who scream anything other than compliments at you suffer a lifetime of flat tires at the most inopportune time for them! :D

-T

Anonymous said...

Wow man, you're talking about really deep stuff - what is the meaning of life and all that. Are you planning on adding 'philosopher' to your resume?
Not surprisingly, I too have been wondering the same thing. I was watching the matrix today so maybe it's just a consequense of that "What is real" thing. Today, it was pissing down with rain, the wind was blowing and the lake was showing whitecaps which were breaking on the pier all day. I can tell you though that sea breeze and surf are a lot better than traffic jams, smog, TV commercials, junk mail, work, cars, clinics that make you wait for fucking ever to see the doc who gives you the 30 second 'you're fine' speech, resulting in a total inability to remember the main reasons for going to see the silly bitch in the first place AND {breathe Garton} all of the other shit that comes with yuppie life.
I applaud your move to your new home away from home and send you good wishes from the self proclaimed Center of the Universe - the T.O.
Just remember that anger is the hallmark of insecurity and that pity is better than anger as a response (not just because of implicating yourself - above) but because those poor saps who yell at the bikers will be the ones with the coronaries after they finish their meals of hoho's and cheese doodles. Pity the poor fool who feels threatened by freedom and fitness. Darwin rules!
-JG